Sometimes it’s quite fun to do something totally random on the spur of the moment.
For instance, this afternoon I made myself a new paper knife.
This came about because I’d been pruning the buddleja bushes in my garden, a task I’ve been meaning to do for several weeks. Today has been a lovely sunny day and I didn’t have to go out or do anything much else, so it seemed like a very good opportunity. Following advice I found on several websites after a quick Google search, I went for fairly heavy pruning. This resulted in quite a lot of material cut off, including several fairly chunky bits.
It occurred to me that the bigger offcut pieces might work quite well for whittling, a hobby that I’ve been meaning to try for quite a while (I did a little bit when I was growing up, but nothing serious).
One piece in particular, with a beautifully curved and slightly gnarled end, struck me as having potential to make quite a nice paper knife, and it just so happened that I was in need of a new one of those for my office since someone seems to have walked off with my old one several months ago.
Since the weather was so fine and it seemed a shame to waste it by going back inside the house straight away, I decided to strike while the iron was hot and so I grabbed my penknife and set to work out in the garden.
Actually, the first step (which I did in the garage) was to cut the piece of wood down to roughly the desired length using a saw. I then decided that for the blade section it would be much quicker to saw away quite a lot of the excess material rather than trying to carve it all the way. I suspect this may contravene some people’s strict definition of whittling but I don’t really care.
I didn’t make a note of the time I started or finished but I think it probably took a bit less than an hour of whittling to get the knife more-or-less how I wanted it. I then finished it off with a little bit of gentle sanding (which again may be against some people’s whittling rules but, since I wasn’t taking part in a competition or intending to sell my work as a hand-whittled product, seemed to be a good way of getting a nice smooth finish that will make the paper knife much more practical and pleasant to use).
Here’s what the finished result looks like:
(You can click on the photo to see it bigger in my Flickr photostream, where you will also find several more pictures of the knife.)
I must confess that I’ve not actually tried opening any letters with this, since I’d already opened today’s post by the time I made it. However, it fits quite comfortably in my hand and I don’t see any reason why it shouldn’t work perfectly well. All told, I’m very pleased with how it’s turned out, especially for a first attempt.
The next challenge is to figure out what to make from the other buddleja offcuts that I saved.
By the way, in case you’re wondering about the title of this post (which, as seems to be fairly common for my titles, is perhaps slightly off-the-wall) I decided that since my new paper knife is made out of buddleja wood and buddleja is commonly referred to as the butterfly bush (on account of it being very popular with lepidoptera) I would call this my butterfly knife (although it’s nothing like the type of knife usually referred to by that name – for which see the article on Wikipedia if you’re interested).
Here, by way of conclusion, is a picture of a peacock butterfly on one of my buddleja bushes last summer: